Chikara Aniversario Blog:
The Colony vs. The Devastation Corporation
This match is a bit of a challenge to write about because the issue between these two teams really only began at The Tag World Grand Prix and that event isn't available yet on smvod.com as of this writing. Since the only details I know are that a third member of The Devastation Corporation debuted at the event and that the three of them ganged up on two members of The Colony, I'll be focusing more on who the participants are this time instead of why they are fighting.
First I'd like to talk about The Colony.
Let's start with Green Ant pictured below, I should probably mention that most of my pictures of Colony members were taken while they were in motion. I rarely saw them any other way..
Green Ant has spent most of the last year and a half building a reputation as an excellent singles wrestler. He is a submission specialist and the only member of the Chikara roster to make both "Lightning" Mike Quakenbush and Chikara Grand Champion Eddie Kingston tap out. The latter was in a non-title match, but a rematch with the title on the line took place (after a slight delay) and unfortunately Green Ant was unsuccessful. I'm hoping a rubber match will eventually take place as I think Green Ant pushed Kingston to his limit like no other opponent has.
Fire Ant, affectionately referred to as "The Hot Property" is a talented high-flyer and the most decorated member of The Colony. He is a former holder of the Young Lion's Cup and co-held the Campeonatos de Parejas with former Colony member Soldier Ant. I'm not sure if it technically counts anymore because of Wink Vavasseur's ridiculous politicking, but Fire Ant and Green Ant were (along with Soldier Ant) the 2011 King of Trios. That title was stripped from them and given to The Colony X-Treme Force earlier this year at the order of the "Director of Fun".
AssailAnt is a relative newcomer to The Colony. He was placed into the group last year via more meddling by Wink Vavasseur. Fortunately, this is one of the few decisions the "Director of Fun" has ever made that had at least one good side effect. AssailAnt has truly found a home with The Colony and has thrived as a member. I'm only sorry that Soldier Ant was removed from The Colony as part of the deal. Most of his time since joining up has been spent in a tag team with Fire Ant. They've had mixed success, but that mostly stemmed from Fire Ant being reluctant to trust him in the early days. When you consider that AssailAnt originally entered Chikara as part of a group determined to unmask and replace The Colony it isn't hard to understand why. These days it's hard to believe there was a time when AssailAnt wasn't a fan favorite. He shows great chemistry with his partners in The Colony, and when I saw him interacting with fans at "The Ghost of You Clings" I was in awe. He was enthusiastically approaching fans, shaking their hands and talking to them. Most of the Chikara roster is welcoming and friendly to the fans at their shows, but AssailAnt was different. He almost made it feel like he had come there to see us instead of it being the other way around. I hope for a bright and successful future for the Big Blue Ant.
I don't have any pictures to share of The Devastation Corporation. They didn't make it to the Chikara show in Porterdale, GA. I imagine that if I were to ask their manager, one Sidney Bakabella, he would probably tell me that Ole Anderson has some kind of grudge against him, or that Jim Barnett didn't return his calls. Bakabella acts like wrestling is still operating under the territory system it used to follow and frequently name-drops promoters and workers from the 70's and 80's. I suspect he has some odd form of amnesia. What he definitely does have is an impressive team in his stable, The Devastation Corporation are behemoths in face-paint which is a proud wrestling tradition. I don't have as much to say about them because they only debuted at King of Trios last September, but they have made a big impact in a very short amount of time.
Blaster McMassive is tall, muscle-bound and surprisingly agile. It's a rare thing to see a man of at least six and a half feet in height leap from a standing position all the way to the top rope, or at least it was until McMassive debuted.
His partner is Mas Smashmaster. Smashmaster is the largest man currently working for Chikara. I don't know his exact weight, but I would speculate that it hovers around the 400 pound mark. Both he and McMassive have shown a tremendous knack for absorbing pain without any noticeable effect. They have already earned a shot at the Campeonatos de Parejas, but were unsuccessful in their attempt to take them from 3.0
I haven't seen the third man for The Devastation Corporation. I only know his name. He is called Flex Rumblecrunch. I don't know what Rumblecrunch is capable of, but if he is as powerful as either of his partners then this will be a great challenge for The Colony.
What Knowwon is thinking:
1. Knowwon hopes to see The Colony victorious here and that they can then set their compound eyes on larger prizes than revenge.
2. Knowwon distrusts Sidney Bakabella. He hasn't had to resort to interfering in The Devastation Corporation's matches often, but if defeat seems to be coming their way I would keep my eye on him.
3. Knowwon thinks that Rumblecrunch sounds like a great name for a wrestling-themed breakfast cereal.
4. Knowwon is looking forward to seeing how the skills of The Colony match up to the raw power of The Devastation Corporation.
Chikara Aniversario: Never Compromise can be watched live at smvod.com on June 2nd 2013



No comments:
Post a Comment